Monday, July 22, 2013
Pink Lemonade Cupcakes
The delightful drink everyone loves has now been doubled in deliciousness, when added to a beautiful cupcake!
- 125g butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 a lemon (keep the zest of the other half for the icing)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150g plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Pink food coloring
(For the icing)
- 75g butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar, sifted
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1-2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Pink food coloring (optional)
1) Preheat oven to 180 C
2) Cream the butter in a large bowl or in an electric food mixer until soft.
3) Add the sugar and grated lemon zest and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
4) Gradually add the beaten eggs, then sift in the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture.
5) Put a few drops of food coloring depending on how strong it is and mix in until well combined.
6) Divide the mixture into paper cases and bake for 7-10 minutes, until risen and golden.
(To make the icing)
1) To make the lemon butter icing, cream the butter in a bowl with a wooden spoon or hand-held electric beater until very soft.
2) Gradually add the icing sugar and beat into the butter, along with the lemon zest and enough lemon juice to soften the icing, to a spreadable consistency.Add in food coloring, and mix well.
3) Spread icing over cupcakes. To decorate, you can also add on popping candy.